Washington Square
Client Horwitz & Company Location
651 W. Washington Blvd.
Chicago, IL
Google map
In its conversion to a first class office building, the eastern façade of the antiquated warehouse is entirely reconstructed. Translucent capitals crown over-scaled masonry columns on a field of blue-green glass as the building’s orientation shifts towards Chicago’s Loop. Directly adjacent, a three-level addition contains retail and parking. A translation of the original structure, its skin replicates perimeter rhythm and masonry as an arcade. The entry procession commences through a colonnade of stone and lighted glass block columns. Passing through the cross axis of a skylight galleria demarcating old and new, one ascends to the centralized lobby. The composition of masonry stone, terrazzo, brass and glass presents historical familiarity and yet enticing surprise.
Statistics

6 Stories

96 Parking Spaces

28,000 SF Retail/Commercial

200,000 GSF

Original Construction Date 1910 Original Architect Joseph C. Llewellyn Awards

International Illumination Design Award, Edwin F. Guth Memorial Award of Excellence, from the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES)
Honor Award, from the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties Design Awards

Washington Square Details