University Commons
Client The Enterprise Companies Location
1001 - 70 West 15th St.
Chicago, Illinois
Google map

The six landmark buildings in this residential loft conversion were formerly warehouse buildings that served as Chicago’s wholesale fresh produce marketplace. The original terra cotta clad structures have been meticulously restored to appear as they did more than eighty years ago. The original canopies have been replaced with new open canopies to imitate the original design, while integrating balconies to create outdoor spaces for the residents. The existing loading docks have been rebuilt and converted to private outdoor terraces for the first floor units. A new fourth floor addition has been erected on top of each building to house the upper level of duplex units, simplex units, common spaces and amenities. Fifty-foot wide landscaped courtyards connect the buildings and provide a private oasis nearly three acres in size.
Statistics

926 Units

4 Stories

1,570,000 GSF

16.9 Acres

Original Construction Date 1925 Original Architect Fugar & Knapp Awards

Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award, Presidents Award, from Landmarks Illinois
Distinguished Building Award, from the American Institute of Architects, Chicago Chapter
Pillars of the Industry Award, Best Project of the Year, from the National Association of Home Builders
Pillars of the Industry Award, Best Adaptive Re-use of a Condominium Community, from the
National Association of Home Builders
Builder’s Choice Design & Planning Award, Grand Award, from Builder Magazine
Good Neighbor Award, from the Chicago Association of Realtors

Related Projects
University Commons Details