Located in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood, the Cathedral was originally built as the Unity Church in 1869. It survived the Great Chicago Fire, but with extensive damage and was rebuilt in Joliet Limestone as the towering Gothic structure seen today. The renovation program for this Landmark status building included stone repair, cleaning and replacement of missing elements, the uncovering and restoration of the stained-glass windows, roof repair and installation of a new rose window based on historic documentation.
Original Construction Date1869-1873Awards
Chicago Landmark Award for Preservation Excellence, Exterior Restoration, from the Commission on Chicago Landmarks