Original Construction 1880’s and 1910
Original Architect George Strauss (1427 N. Milwaukee)
The Milwaukee Avenue District includes one of Chicago's most historic commercial quarters. The street reads as a patchwork of heights, colors, and textures. The three buildings at 1421 and 1427 date from the 1880s to the 1910s and were each designed in a different architectural style: classical revival, renaissance revival, and italianate respectively. These three buildings were previously interconnected to accommodate a furniture warehouse which operated there until 2014. The renovation and upgrades for shell and core retail and office use included previous glass blocks being removed and replaced with new historically appropriate windows, new compatible storefronts inserted on the first floor, and the masonry facade repair as necessary. A number of original interior features were retained including the original tin ceilings in the first floor retail spaces. The newly renovated buildings now have retail on the first two floors and apartments above.
4 Stories (2 buildings) / 2 Story (1 building) Stories
City of Chicago Commission on Chicago Landmarks, 2020 Preservation Excellence Award